From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rodrigue Tremblay (born October 13, 1939) is an economist, humanist and political figure. He teaches economics at the University of Montreal. He specializes in macroeconomics, international trade and finance, and public finance. He is a prolific author of books in economics and politics.
Born in Matane, Qubec, Canada, he has a B.A. from the Universit Laval (1961), a B.Sc. in Economics from the University of Montreal (1963). Tremblay did his graduate work at Stanford University where he obtained a M.A. in Economics (1965) and a Ph.D. in Economics (1968). He has been a professor of economics at the Universit de Montral since 1967. He is professor emeritus since 2002.
Tremblay was president of the Association canadienne de science conomique (1974-75) and of the North American Economics and Finance Association (1986-87). He was chairman of the Department of Economics of the University of Montreal (1973-76) ), member of the Committee of Dispute Settlements of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) (1989-93) and vice-president of the Association internationale des conomistes de langue franaise (AIELF), from 1999 to 2005. He was invited scholar and economic consultant at the Bank of Canada, the Economic Council of Canada, the Quebec Commission of Inquiry on the Quebec Liquor Trade, the West African Monetary Union, the Royal Commission on the Economic Union and Development Prospects for Canada (MacDonald Commission) and the United Nations.
Tremblay presided at the foundation of the North American Review of Economics and Finance and was associate editor of the Review L'Action nationale and the financial weekly Les Affaires. Rodrigue Tremblay was elected member of parliament for the Montreal riding of Gouin on November 15, 1976, as candidate of the Parti Qubcois. He served as Minister of Industry and Trade in the Government of Quebec, from 1976 to 1979. He sponsored the sale of wine in Quebec's 12,000 private grocery stores. He resigned from the Lvesque Cabinet on September 19, 1979. He resumed his academic career on April 15, 1981. He was named emeritus professor in 2002.
1 Published books
2.1 Partial Bibliography
2.2 A few quotations by Rodrigue Tremblay
3 External links
* The Role of International Financial Flows in the International Payments Mechanism, University Microfilms, 1967
* La science conomique, 1967
* L'conomique, une introduction l'analyse des problmes conomiques de toute socit, 1969
* Indpendance et march commun Qubec-USA, 1970
* Africa and Monetary Integration, 1970
* L'conomique, problmes et exercices, 1970
* La thorie du commerce international, 1971
* La thorie montaire internationale, 1972
* Analyse microconomique, 1975
* L'conomie qubcoise, 1976
* L'Indpendance conomique du Canada franais, 1977
* La 3e Option, 1979
* Le Qubec en crise, 1981
* conomie et finances publiques, 1982
* Issues in North American Economics and Finance, 1987
* Le rle des exportations dans la croissance et le dveloppement conomique, Institut de recherches politiques, 1990
* Macroconomique moderne, thories et ralits, 1992
* conomie et finances publiques, 1997
* Politique et conomie, 1998
* Les Grand enjeux politiques et conomiques du Qubec, 1999
* L'heure juste, 2001
* Pourquoi Bush veut la guerre, 2003
* Le nouvel empire amricain, 2004
* The New American Empire, 2004
* Le code pour une thique globale, vers une civilisation humaniste, 2009.
* The Code For Global Ethics, Toward a Humanist Civilization, 2009, (hardcopy and paperback)
* The Code For Global Ethics, Ten Humanist Princiles, 2010, (hardcover).
* Fellow, Universit de Montral, 1961
* Woodrow Wilson Fellow, 1963
* Ford International Fellow, Stanford University, 1964
* Prize for excellence in teaching, Universit de Montral, 1998
* Emeritus professor, 2002.
* Condorcet Prize of political philosophy, 2004
* The Code For Global Ethics, Ten Humanist Princiles, Prometheus Books, 2010, ISBN: 978-1616141721.
* The Code For Global Ethics, Toward a Humanist Civilization, Trafford, 2009, hardcopy and paperback, ISBN: 978-1426913594.
* Le code pour une thique globale, vers une civilisation humaniste, Liber, 2009, ISBN: 978-2895781738.
* The New American Empire, Rodrigue Tremblay, Infinity, 2004, ISBN: 0741418878.
* Le Nouvel Empire Amricain, Causes et consquences pour les Etats-Unis et pour le monde, Rodrigue Tremblay, L'Harmattan, 2004, ISBN: 2747562875.
* Pourquoi Bush Veut la Guerre, Rodrigue Tremblay, Les Intouchables, 2003, ISBN: 2895490996.
* L'Heure Juste, Rodrigue Tremblay, 2002, Stanke International, ISBN 2760408507.
* Les Grands Enjeux Politiques et conomiques du Qubec, Transcontinental Inc., Rodrigue Tremblay, 1999, ISBN: 2894721153.
A few quotations by Rodrigue Tremblay
* "The world should take notice when someone with a fanatic mind and with powerful means, receives his marching orders from Heaven."
* "Wars are cruel gimmicks designed to enrich the few and impoverish the many."
* "It is not faith that produces freedom; knowledge brings freedom."
* "An incompetent politician who surrounds himself with competent people can pull it off. However, if he is dumb enough to surround himself with like-minded people, failure becomes a certainty."
* "The two biggest curses of humanity have been religions and wars, and both are often intertwined."
* "An organized minority is most of the time stronger politically than a disorganized majority."
* "People have invented gods to console themselves from their absence of control over life and death."
* "On the political chessboard, those in the middle may have influence, but they rarely have power."
* "Cemeteries are full of people with large pension funds."
* "The fact that we do not have a good government does not mean that we are not governed."
* "In our media-run world, people get the politicians that pundits and journalists deserve."
* "A government bent on controlling the people can never gather enough information on its citizens."
* "Hell on Earth is when one has too few things, ...or too many."
* "It would be nothing less than scandalous for the United States, which was founded on humanistic and democratic principles, to attempt to replace the old empires of the past and to deny the fundamental democratic right of other peoples and other nations to self-determination."
* ÒThe Earth can last without humans, but humans cannot survive without planet Earth.Ó
* "The fundamental purpose and meaning of life is to be happy, to live fully and morally, and to help others be happy and live their lives fully and morally."
Rodrigue Tremblay, ÒThe Code for Global EthicsÓ, 2010
* Ò...It can be said that the fear of death is the greatest ally of religion.Ó
* ÒThe religion-based promise of eternal life is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on humankind.Ó
* ÒAll over history, there has been a recurring tendency for the followers of different gods, as members of some imperial religions, to fight each other in bloody wars, and I would add, useless wars.Ó
* ÒExpansionist ideologies, such as communism, fascism, colonialism, Christianism, Islamism and Zionism, are powerful seeds of war. The more so, it seems, when one relies on the exhortations of a so-called ÒholyÓ book. The first three ideologies nearly destroyed the Planet in the 20th century, while the last three threaten to do the same in the 21st century.Ó
* ÒA [US] president who does not start a war abroad or who does not enlarge one already in progress is open to criticism and is likely to suffer politically. He must be seen less as a president than as Òcommander-in-chiefÓ, in effect, as an emperor.Ó
* ÒCorporations are not moral agents; only breathing individuals are; only they can adopt moral standards of conduct and be a source of law.Ó
* ÒIn a democracy, voters' abstentionism is, in fact, often a vote against inefficient or corrupt politicians.Ó
* ÒThose who are opposed to military wars should also oppose trade wars, because the latter lead to the former.Ó
* ÒWhen there exists a state of permanent warfare, economic decline is to be expected. Indeed, the main reason why the overall standard of living is stagnating in some countries, notably in the United States, is due to the high proportion of resources being directed toward the parasitic military-industrial establishment.Ó
* ÒThe unrestricted use of money in politics can turn a vibrant democracy into a decadent plutocracy just as surely as poisoning a well can destroy a village.Ó
* ÒThe world should be worried about those who go around the planet with a can of gasoline in one hand and a box of matches in the other, pretending to sell fire insurance.Ó
* ÒWars of aggression are the most barbarous of all human endeavors and are, more often than not, the instruments of insane tyrants who hear voices.Ó
Retrieved from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodrigue_TremblayÓ
CURRICULUM VITAE -(English summary)
NAME: TREMBLAY, Rodrigue, Ph.D.
ORIGIN: Born in Matane, Quebec, Canada, October 13, 1939.
DEGREES: B.A.(Arts), Laval University, 1961
B.Sc. (Economics), Universit de Montral, 1963
M.A. (Economics), Stanford University, 1965
Ph.D. (Economics), Stanford University, 1968
Woodrow Wilson Fellow, 1963
Ford International Fellow, 1964
Canadian WHO's WHO
International WHO's WHO
WHO's WHO of International Scientists
Prize for excellence in teaching, 1998
Condorcet Prize, 2004
6) Certain books by Rodrigue Tremblay can be found on the Internet
1967-1996 Professor, Department of Economics, Universit de
Montral Montreal, Quebec, Canada
1965-67 Research Fellow, Center for Economic Growth, Stanford
University, Stanford, California
2002- Professor emeritus
¥ ECN 1111 - Macroeconomics 200
¥ ECN 1964 - Public Finance 150
¥ ECN 6454 - Ph.D. workshop in
international economics 20 students
¥ ECN 6478 - International Finance:
International Economics B 25 students
¥ Chairman, Undergraduate Studies Programs, 1995-97
¥ Chairman, Graduate Studies Programs, 1982-87
¥ President, North American Economics and Finance
¥ Minister, Department of Industry and Commerce, Quebec,
¥ President, Socit canadienne de science conomique,
¥ Chairman, Department of Economics, Universit de
Fields of specialization:
¥ Public Finance
¥ International Economics
¥ Public Policies
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, The Code For Global Ethics, Ten Humanist Princiles, Prometheus Books, 2010, 300 pages,
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, The Code For Global Ethics, Toward a Humanist Civilization, Trafford, 2009, hardcopy and paperback, 279 pages,
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue,Le code pour une thique globale, vers une civilisation humaniste, Liber, 2009, 296 pages.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, The New American Empire, Achon Books, Infinity, Pennsylvania, 2004, 365 pages.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, Le Nouvel Empire Amricain, ditions L'Harmattan, Paris, 2004, 315 pages.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, Pourquoi Bush veut la Guerre, Les
Intouchables, Paris, Montreal, February 2003, 277p.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, L'Heure Juste, Stanke international,
Montreal, 2001, 349p.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, Les Grands Enjeux conomiques et
politiques, Transcontinental publishing, Montreal, 1999,
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, Public Economics and Finance, Library
of the University of Montreal Press, 1996, 381p.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, Modern Macroeconomics, Theories and
Realities, Holt, Rinehart and Winston, (tudes Vivantes),
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, The Role of Exports in Growth and
Development, Public Policy Institute, Ottawa, 1990, 53p.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, Issues in North American Economics
and Finance, ed., NAEFA, Montreal, 1987, 633p.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, Quebec in Crisis, Select
Publications, Montreal, 1981, 447p.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, The Third Option, France-Amrique
Publications, Montreal, 1979, 133p.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, The Economic Independence of French Canada, re-ed., Errol Bouchette, La Presse Publications, 1977, 272p.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, The Quebec Economy, ed., the
University of Quebec Press, 1976, 493p.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, Macroeconomic Analysis, Holt,
Rinehart and Winston, Montreal, 1975, 332p.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, Microeconomic Analysis, Holt,
Rinehart and Winston, Montreal, 1975, 400p.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, International Monetary Relations,
Library of the University of Montreal Press, 1972, 230p.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, International Trade Theory, Library
of the University of Montreal Press, 1971, 350p.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, Africa and Monetary Integration, ed.,
Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1970, 466p.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, Independance and a Quebec-USA Common
Market, Editions du Jour, Montreal, 1970,127p.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, Economics, an Introduction, Holt,
Rinehart and Winston, Montreal, 1969, 608p.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, The Role of International Financial
Flows in the International Payments Mechanism, University
Microfilms, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1967, 241p.
***Scientific Articles since 1990
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, "How American politicians and bankers built a financial debt house of cards", Policy Options Review, February 2009, pp. 49-54.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, ÓLa main invisible du marchÉ doit parfois tre guideÓ, revue Options Politiques, juillet-aot 2008, 7 p.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, ÒHow US Politicians and Bankers Built a Financial Debt House of Cards Ó, The India Economy Review, December 2008, pp. 78-84.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, ÒSowing the seeds of recessionÓ, Turkish Daily News, Istanbul, Turkey, December 5, 2007.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, ÒLe Qubec et la mondialisation des conomiesÓ, L'Action Nationale, novembre-dcembre 2007.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, ÒLes grands cycles conomiquesÒ, dans Mlanges en hommage Maria-Negreponti Delivanis, Universit de la Massdoine, 2006, pp. 659-675.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, "La nouvelle Doctrine Bush",
L'Action Nationale, novembre-dcembre 2002, pp 65-74.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, "Le franais, langue scientifique internationale: point de vue d'un conomiste",
L'Action Nationale, septembre 2001, pp 19-34.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, "Les facteurs dclencheurs des crises financires internationales, L'Actualit conomique, septembre, 2000, pp 423-436.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, "Mobilit internationale des facteurs en situation de chmage et de libre-change", L'Actualit conomique, juin 1998, pp 245-271.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, "La triple mobilit biens-travail-capital ou l'incohrence des politiques conomiques", L'Action Nationale, novembre, 1996, pp 76-93.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, "Export-led Growth and Competitive
Requirements", Caribbean and Latin Economic Development,
St. John's University, New York, Winter, 1995. pp.135-152.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, "The Industrial Policy of Quebec", in
Canada and Quebec, One Country, Two Histories, Robert
Bathwell Ed., UBC Press, 1995, pp. 167-169.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, "The Quebec Economy", Encyclopedia
Americana, Conn., Fall 1995, 7 pages.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, "Economic and Policy Requirements for
Export-led Growth", North American Economic and Finance Papers, N.Y., Winter 1994, 10 pages.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, "Macro-Based International
Competitiveness with Free Trade", in Beyond NAFTA, ed. A.R.
Riggs and Tom Velk, the Fraser Institute, Vancouver, Winter
1993, 15 pages.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, "Comptitivit canadienne et librechange
nord- amricain; les trois premires annes de
l'AL", L'Actualit conomique, June 1993, 20 pages.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, "Le Qubec face l'intgration
conomique canadienne et nord-amricaine", edited by A.-G.
Gagnon and F. Rocher, Rpliques aux dtracteurs de la
souverainet du Qubec, Montreal, Winter 1992, 19 pages.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, "Constitutional Political Economy and
Trade Policies between Quebec and Canada", edited by
J.McCallum, Broken Links, C.D. Howe Institute, Toronto,
Summer 1991, 12 pages.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, "Real Exchange Rate Movements and
Canadian Industrial Employment", Proceedings Review of North
American Economics and Finance Association, 1991, 15 pages.
¥ Tremblay, Rodrigue, "The Canada-U.S. Trade Arrangements
for Export- Led Growth", Review of North American Economics
and Finance Association, 1991, 14 pages.
à Associate Editor, North American Review of Economics and
à Associate Editor, Foreign Affairs Studies, Carleton
à Associate Editor, Les Affaires Journal, 1996-
à Member of the North American Free Trade Agreement,
Chapter 18 Arbitration Panel, 1989-2000